Old November 21st 17, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Discs

On 2017-11-20 13:23, sms wrote:
On 11/18/2017 7:30 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Oh, yes, right. We must bow down deeply and I should never
complain about having to pay 10x or more than my current
solution. Another confession. I use $10 T-shirts on all my
rides instead of $100 technicolor Spandex.

You should just go to a trade show every couple of years and
stock up on free tee-shirts. I have to keep giving these shirts
away.

However, the flight, hotel and so on will set you back several
hundred Dollars :-)

Good quality T-shirts can live 5-10 years until they migrate to my
cycling stack. There they'll live another two years until it's on
to the stack I use for rough jobs, painting and so on. Nothing gets
wasted.

I wear my super-fancy Technicolor Spandex jerseys like once or twice,
and then I throw them away -- except for all of them. Top this. I
have my club jerseys from 1977-79. I have my BBC and Saturn jerseys
from the 80s (not THE Saturn team, just a local team). I have a
bunch from the '90s. I have wool jerseys that are easily 20 years
old, and they're long sleeve -- perfect under a rain jacket. They're
great -- pockets, zippers. You would think they were actually made
for riding a bike!

I have no doubt they last a long time, it's just that I can't wear most
artificial fibers. Also, mountain biking is a different story. During
almost every ride I pull some loops on a T-shirt and have some blood
running down a shoulder. Not a crash, just blackberry brambles, thistle
bushes and stuff. If I damage a $10 T-shirt that is several years old I
am not going to shed a tear. Once they made it to the cycling stack
their "book value" has dropped to less than 50c anyhow. Unless it's a
Greenbay Packers T-shirt :-)

As I am writing this I am wearing a T-shirt from PricePoint. It
was about $5 on sale, good quality, 100% cotton, very small logo
and otherwise gray. The logo is an inverted smiling shark, no idea
what manufacturer it is supposed to represent.

Some folks think higher priced stuff is better. Often not so. When
I wore $80 running shoes on the bike they were totally worn and
breaking up after a year. $30 shoes, same thing, same life span.
$30 sandals show hardly any wear after a year.

I have some sale-table Giro SPD shoes I got for $89 three or four
years ago, and they're still going strong. I'm about to jump in them
and ride home through about five inches of standing water. Gore
booties, too -- which I'm going to dry and hit with some Scotchgard
tonight. I got some seep through this morning -- but then again, it
was storming, and I was riding through five inches of standing
water.

I just had to dry my running shoes in front of the wood stove. It said
"Don't enter when flooded" but oh heck ... then ... oh darn! Once in you
can't turn around.

Also, I abhor any kind of locking pedals. Even removed the loop pedals
from my road bike and mounted ... gasp ... oh horror ... MTB pedals.

I prefer long-sleeved, non-cotton, tee-shirts for riding, and
those do cost $10-12. Fortunately these are now widely available
at local stores like Walmart.

I can't stand long sleeves when cycling although it would certainly
be better re skin cancer, poison oak brushings and all that.

Don't you cycle in winter . . . in rain, snow? A short sleeve
t-shirt and lumberjack shirt would work for approximately none of my
riding this time of year. I'd look like a wet dog after three
minutes of my commute. Cotton is a fair weather fabric. It grows in
hot climates.

Well, we are different. When I ride in the Sierra in the dead of winter
I usually take off the lumberjack shirt once the first long uphill
section shows. Tyically I only wear long sleeve shirts to church and
business meetings. The latter only for minutes, then I roll up the
sleeves. Even at church I do unless I am on usher duty.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/