Old June 29th 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On 2018-06-29 08:26, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 7:21:00 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

snip

Yes, lord over them and drive up the land value. Larry Cameron
made a bundle off a cow pasture. To create a CSD, you have to
have buy-in from the existing residents -- so apparently, the one
resident business -- a cow pasture -- was not complaining.

You bet they were. While on a bike ride I saw a old man gazing at a
new development. I wanted to check it out as well so we got to
talk. He was born and raised here and his family dates way back to
before this area was built out. He was ****ed that he had to shell
out north of $30k in lawyer fees and still lost his eminent domain
case. In fact, in the end his lawyer suggested to pull the plug.

The eastern part of Cameron Park has plenty of such families
because that was a properous freight transfer location in the gold
rush. When Larry wasn't born yet.

Eminent domain is taking by the government and not private
development.

Get real. Often it works like this: Developer proposes something
mega-big. Board starts tapping on the calculators, then some beging to
salivate. "That would mean this much more in taxes!" - Eminent domain
process soon starts.

That's not eminent domain. That's development and the usual plan approval process. Developers have to dedicate streets and other facilities -- its the quid pro quo for plan approval, but government is not condemning property.. It is why you have bike trails in Folsom in those new developments. The developers had to dedicate the land as a condition of plan approval. Here's an example from Florida -- https://www.pascocountyfl.net/Docume...arkey-MPUD-COA Closer to home: https://www.cityofsacramento.org/-/m...tion.pdf?la=en

Welcome to the 21st century, although there are examples of developments going back to the 18th century and building codes and zoning going back to colonial era -- back when people were free, damn it!

... Your wistful old man probably spent his money trying to
prevent the development by challenging a zoning change that allowed
PUDs or some sort of high density development.

Exactly, that's what I mean. You live in the boonies, development
encroaches, zoning restrictions come in and your lovely remote location
and freedome is largely gone.

The Cameron Park CSD is 8.3 square miles, so I question how much of
the land you mention is in the CSD rather than unincorporated El
Dorado County. Counties having land-use planning authority, too.
Down with counties!

Sure, counties do it as well.

Examples are plentiful. Such as airports that date back almost
to Lindbergh yet when developments went in they wer closed down
or are under that threat for noise "pollution". Same with farms
or food producers that have been there almost since the gold
rush and now they get in trouble because some "urban cowboys"
that should have stayed in the city moved into the country and
can't bear the stench.

Nothing could land at a Lindbergh era airport except maybe a
Cesna 150. Yes, zoning can change, there are some odd-ball
California cases where people brought nuisance claims against
existing uses like a pig farm. Del Webb won a big one, but its an
outlier. Much, but not all, zoning improves land values, and
depending on the planning entity, it protects farm and forest.
That is an land use goal in Oregon. Your little community is
immune from change because of the CC&Rs, but I'm sure you'd enjoy
it if a pig farm moved in next door. Go to a zero zoning
jurisdiction and feel the love of pig farms next to skyscrapers
next to toxic waste dumps, etc.

As a young kid I lived near a pig farm. The "scent" didn't bother
me and I could visit the animals which was fun. Only when they
slaughtered some that was hard to take. It was done the
old-fashioned style.

There are plenty of pig farms left that you could live near.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...stry-pig-farms

I don't want to but it never bothered me. I am not a pampered city
dweller and plan not to become one.

Pffff. Yes you are. Is there another name for this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BnBoGhNWXx4/maxresdefault.jpg I sure don't have a country club in my neighborhood.

You play like you're some rugged individualist with your prairie schooner crossing the Ore-y-gun trail -- and yet you complain about trucks, lack of bike facilities, etc., etc. Soft, soft, soft. Real bicycle cowboys herd buses, like I do. Buses are like cows, but bigger and stupider.

You could always go full Kaczynski and live in a 10 X 10
shack on some forgotten BLM land in the Badlands and not live
in an airpark/golf course community with CC&Rs up the butt.
I'm sure you would enjoy that. Plenty of room for beer
brewing.

They'd even threaten you out there if someone with a big bank
account decided to turn swaths of land around you into a
"senior adventure living community" or whatever.

And then your 10X10 shack is worth $1M. Worry about being
condemned for a road or dam.

There are people who don't want money, they want to be left alone
like they used to be. They want to enjoy true freedom.

Get a black and white TV and imagine the past that never existed.

The family of a friend of mine back in high school had no TV at all at
home. Not because they were poor, no, they had a well-running nursery
business. Now that he has a wife and kids and all they keep it the same
way. They cycle together, climb together, hike, outdoors all the time.
TV means nothing to them. My own TV consumption consists of the evening
news (sans the sports part) and the occasional Western from a recording.
That's it.

And? I never understood the smugness of non-TV watchers. It's like you can't watch some TV and hike, bike, climb, etc., etc.? Donald Trump is a voracious TV watcher and look how smart he is -- and physically gifted, too. I heard he was born under a double-rainbow and trains unicorns in his spare time.

I watch TV and ride with my son all the time. Riding with him is not that great since I'm not into being throttled relentlessly. I even commute to work with him many mornings. The whole family thing is over-blown. There are better families on TV -- like Leave it to Beaver. I want a vaguely hot wife with a blond perm who vacuums in an a-line skirt, angora sweater and a strand of pearls. Compliant kids would be awesome! Beaver, clean your room! [room gets cleaned].

BTW, my friends were in Hurricane, UT but moved to Mesquite and just left there because it sucked. There is plenty of available moonscape. It's not too late to move.

-- Jay Beattie.