Old September 26th 18, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default ship bike by air in bike bag?

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 08:07:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

When was the last time you flew anywhere John?

I think you mean Frank, not John.

These days on most
airlines you are allowed one free carry-on. Some airlines allow
on free checked luggage and others don't. But a second piece of
checked baggage is almost always "extra" and the price can be as
much as a cut rate ticket. It costs more to ship a bicycle to
Australia than it costs to fly there yourself.

Yep:
https://www.bikeflights.com
https://www.bikeflights.com/ship
I priced what it cost to ship a mountain bike from Smog Angeles to
Sidney Australia. 55 lbs for $1,842.95 one-way by FedEx Freight and
not including the box, packing service or customs. I tried various
size bicycles and found the price to be the same. There were no
folding bicycles listed, which seems a bit odd.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558