Old October 17th 19, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default ride faster!

On 17/10/2019 10:24 a.m., Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 7:49:01 AM UTC+1, Rolf Mantel wrote:

The alternate is not to cycle on the sidewalk in the first place, when
it is known that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding
on the road ;-)

I generally agree. But it strikes me that someone who rides on the pavement all the time, or any time it is permitted, is probably also a gutter bunny, and that truck driver would have collected him either way.

I'd be interest to hear where you got your information "that riding on a sidewalk is 3 times as dangerous as riding on the road".

Seems to me that this would depend a lot on the road and the sidewalk.
We had a couple people killed in Montreal going through an underpass and
being rear ended by trucks. You'd have to see the setup. Steep
underpass. Dark. Narrow. Truck didn't see the cyclists etc. There
are sidewalks there and the city decided to allow cyclists to use them.

Before the danger danger brigade gets fired up, this is a one off. I
wouldn't recommend using sidewalks generally.

Andre Jute
Aggressive Passive Safety: Bicyclists should avoid tangling with mechanical contrivances bigger than they are.