Old September 14th 05, 12:44 AM
Jeff Grippe

Default Question about Ebay

"Call me Bob" wrote in message

Don't believe that Paypal offer you any security as a seller, they
absolutely don't. It's very simple for a buyer (or scammer) to reverse
a Paypal payment once the goods have been dispatched, even months
after the original transaction. Paypal will offer you no recourse and
no help should this happen to you, they'll just take what they want
from your account, possibly even adding charges on top.

I have a very different experience although I believe what you are saying is
true if you paid using a credit card.

My experience (as a buyer):

I bought an ipod on ebay and paid using paypal where the funds were deducted
from my checking account. The seller turned out to be a scammer. He shipped
me a box full of newspaper. Paypal would not give me my money back.
Ultimately I got back $200 from paypal's fraud insurance and $150 from
ebay's which almost covered the cost of the item.

I think if I had used a credit card I might have been able to dispute the
charge. If the credit card company charges back to paypal then they probably
charge back to the seller. I haven't had enough experience to know.

I can assure you that even in the face of absolute proof of having been the
victim of a scam, paypal would not reverse a transaction and refund me my
money.

The same scammer got three other people for larger amounts of money. Some of
them paid by certified check and one of them was international so I'm
certain they didn't get their money back.

Jeff