Old October 1st 14, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_4_]

Default Why You Should Keep A Bike Handy Even If You Don't Cycle Much

That would all depend upon having a nice even level road.

Or a nice knobbly mountain bike.

In the

event of disaster neither of those are likely, whereas feet can climb

over things very easily and going up hill (necessary to escape tidal

waves ) is quite natural and simple on foot. I would imagine that

poor quality knee joints are not too hot for cycling in any case.

Actually my knees work quite well on a bike because their movement is

constrained by the pedals, so they tend not try to twist out of

alignment, which they can do when I'm walking, particularly on uneven

ground.

Tennis players with bad knees -- basically all tennis players over 40 -- will often cycle for knee therapy.

Stay in lower gears and cycling actually makes knees better.

Then why do so many cyclists develop patellofemoral syndrome?

They aren't spinning. Higher gears will destroy the knees for the same reason lugging down an engine 9not downshifting) will destroy the piston rod bearings.

Cyclists also need to get out of the seat every now and then to save their prostates.

You would think that 'pro' cyclists would know that by now.

Most know the risks well enough. As with professional boxing, football or knee destroying tennis they just think the $ is worth the risk.

Anyway you seem to have abandoned any argument that bicycles wouldn't be critical evacuating coastal areas from an approaching tsunami.

Bret Cahill