Old February 22nd 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default Car features and other gadgets: was: my fixie doesn't need improvement

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 13:18:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/18/2018 1:42 AM, John B. wrote:

Can you still walk into a car dealer and buy a car with a manual
transmission? Here I was told that an auto transmission would have to
be special ordered.

We bought one four years ago. It had to be brought in from a different
dealer, but I don't recall if the reason for that was the manual
transmission.

And it occurs to me it may be time to redefine "standard" transmission.
That used to mean shifting for yourself. But like it or not, automatics
are now "standard"!

I think the "special order" probably was more a matter of "we don't
have one in stock" then some factory imperative, but the fact is that
most people, here, do not buy automobiles with manual transmissions.
Even the Taxi's are auto.

On the other hand nearly all pickups are manual shift. I have do an
automatic pickup but that was so my wife could drive it as she simply
cannot cope with a manual shift. It took a two day search of Bangkok
second-hand car dealers to find it :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.