Old June 12th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Chain waxing

On 6/9/2018 8:13 AM, Joerg wrote:

Wax isn't a good lubricant but most good wax oils like mine are a mix of
synthetic oil and wax. Has to be mixed up before each application by
vigorously shaking the bottle.

It's rather amusing that after it was pointed out, by numerous experts,
that wax is not a good lubricant, suddenly the narrative changed and now
it's "wax mixed with oil."

So once you lose the advantage of wax not attracting dirt, dust, etc. by
adding in the oil for lubrication, how much of the benefit of the
cleanliness of wax is retained? I admit, I never tried the wax/oil
mixture, but I have tried pure wax. I have also tried pure oil.

I found Sheldon's statement spot-on: ""Downsides of the wax approach
include the fact that it is a great deal of trouble, and that wax is
probably not as good a lubricant as oil or grease." But it's true that
there were no greasy socks, legs, or pants.

I don't believe in recreational bicycle chain maintenance. I don't want
to remove the chain from the bike for cleaning and lubrication. I don't
want to use a toothbrush to individually clean each link. I don't want
to drip drops of oil on every link or use a propane torch to melt was on
every link.

I do want to clean the chain on the bike, and get it clean, inside and
out. I do want the lubricant to get onto the pins and rollers and not
just be on the outside of the chain.