Old August 18th 19, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Campy B.B. compatibility

On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 2:48:13 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/18/2019 2:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 12:02:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 12:21:53 PM UTC-5, daleb wrote:
I currently have a Campy centaur 115.5mm bottom bracket on my ride that is built from slightly oversized titanium tubing (Habanero) with Centaur double cranks. Would a Phil 110.5mm work on this bike? 115.5mm PW's are hard to come by.
Thanks.

I'd take Andy's comments into consideration. But, if you have a 115.5mm Campagnolo bottom bracket, why not just put another one in if you want. Why F around with Phil Wood. I know some people worship their crap. I'm not one of them. See links below. Just use Campagnolo bottom brackets with Campagnolo cranksets. Life is easier and better if you don't make up and imagine fictitious problems.

https://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo...SABEgL2DPD_BwE
$23.95 for Veloce 115.5mm. This seems real simple doesn't it.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/campagnolo-centaur-tapered-bottom-bracket/rp-prod165441?gs=1&sku=sku611166&pgrid=54137515364&pt aid=pla-431312527100&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campa ign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=m kwid|sVYur0OM1_dc|pcrid|253659801802|pkw||pmt||prd |611166US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI04Dqo4uN5AIVlR-tBh18SgduEAQYAyABEgJG_fD_BwE
Both Centaur lengths. 111 and 115. Get whatever size you want. Same length, or shorter if you want to reduce Q factor. Campagnolo brand, so you know it works right.

I agree with you one Phil Wood. I have never seen a single advantage of them. Take the headset for example - you could buy a half dozen FSA's or the like for the same price and while the Phil Wood would last five lifetimes of the bike the FSA's would last just one lifetime. Isn't that enough?

p.s. spindle section for square taper :
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/3SPINDLE.JPG

The rightmost section is the original format for the first
French aluminum cranks before the war. Campagnolo adopted
that section (with shorter spindle length) to their first
Record aluminum crank, c.1960. It was the standard format
for almost all quality cranks[1] including Shimano Dura Ace,
Suntour and Sugino products until just a few years ago.

The same angle, same taper, different section[2] shown
center (smaller at the end) dominated melt-forged cranks
such as Sugino Maxy and Suntour VX starting around 1970. It
became the dominant inexpensive crank spindle format but was
never used for premium product (Campagnolo, Dura Ace, Sugino
75 etc).

For curious readers, the leftmost spindle in image is a
different steeper angle taper used for obsolete sandcast
aluminum crank arms which were a brief effort before
thixoform became ubiquitously inexpensive.

[1] The list is long. The original TA, then Stronglight,
Williams, Zeus, Favorit, Saavedra, GPM, Ofmega, SR Royal,
Nervar and private labels of many of those as well.

[2] variously with nut or with bolt, same fit.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Well, I agree with you about Record cranks. But I have four different size Campy tapered bottom brackets down in the garage and just went and looked at them.The 115.5's are marked Centaur and were used for the older triples. I know for a fact that the DuraAce crank would not fit properly on the Campy tapers since I tried it. They wouldn't go down on the taper and hung far out not fully on the taper. All of these BB plus one of the old ball and race kind all have identical tapers.

I haven't used the old fashion BB's for a long time now so I don't know why I still have them.