Old January 24th 09, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Commuting to Canary Wharf - advice sought

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:48:08 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

My work location in London moves to Canary Wharf next week. [I’ve
hitherto been commuting from Paddington to Victoria by Brompton.] This
significantly lengthens my commute. Not looking forward to it one
bit. I’ve been looking at options involving various combinations of
bike (folder and full-size), Docklands Light Railway, Thames Clipper
ferry, and possibly going from Waterloo (I live in Reading so
Paddington or Waterloo are options.). Also looked at cycling the
whole distance from Paddington from Canary Wharf - about 9 miles,
longer on quieter roads - the distance is not a problem for me but
East London doesn’t exactly look a cyclist’s paradise. [I hate the
Tube so want to avoid it if poss]

Appreciate any advice from folks with experience of commuting this
route with bike, i.e. Paddington or Waterloo to Canary Wharf.

Many thanks in advance, Reg

Apart from a short section through Islington, the Regent's Canal
towpath will take you more or less door to door on a motor traffic
free route.

I expect the Regent's Canal journey would take about 90 minutes. The
most direct road route would probably take about half that time.

Waterloo to Canary Wharf is a doddle.

From Waterloo follow The Thames Path (motor traffic free) to Tower
Bridge, and cross. At the main junction after the Bridge turn *sharp*
right and double back on yourself past the Tower Hotel and through the
service area into St Katherine Dock (motor traffic free). Foloow
quiet roads to Wapping. At Wapping follow the Ornamental Canals to
Shadwell Basin (motor traffic free). Follow the Thames Path North to
Limehouse (motor traffic free), and take the horrible plunge under
Westferry Circus and that horrendous underground gyratory will spew
you out into Canary Wharf. (It may be possible to take a lift or one
flight of stairs from the Thames path to the upper Westferry Circus
for an infinitely more pleasant final leg of the journey).

Journey time - a delightful 40 minutes followed by a nasty 5 minutes.

The road route would probably take less than 30 minutes.

Also note that Tower Bridge is scheduled for closure to all traffic
for two weeks in March. There *may* be a free replacement ferry
service for pedestrians and cyclists.