Old September 10th 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Road Discs

I have no experience with disc brakes. None. If building my new dream bike, it would be rim brake. I know rim brakes. Rim brakes are easy to work on. I'm not against learning new things, like disc brakes. But don't see the need. They are not as simple to work on or understand as rim brakes. In all my riding, I've always been able to stop just fine with rim brakes. Loaded touring bike down the Alps, Dolomites, Rockys. Never a problem. Never over heated a rim or burnt up brake pads. I've also ridden in rain and stopped just fine too. Maybe in emergency situations in the rain, the performance improvement of disc would matter. Maybe. But I don't ride crazy and ever need to stop instantly. And disc brakes still need time, distance to stop just like rim brakes. Maybe less distance but I don't see that ever really mattering to me. So my dream bike of the future would have rim brakes.