Old June 11th 18, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chain waxing

On 2018-06-11 09:36, jbeattie wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... Plus, for road riding, ordinary rim
brakes are fine.

As long as it does not rain or hail hard, then they are the pits.

Oh, Gawd.

I and my club mates don't live in a desert. Everyone in our club has
used rim brakes since they started cycling, and all but a very few still
do. We've ridden in countless rains, from showers to thunderstorms,
countless miles. I've been club safety chairman for decades and I hear
about the crashes. I've never heard of one caused by inadequate braking
in the rain. Never.

This is a non-issue for almost all road cyclists. It's the current big
"you _gotta_ have this!" item for the bike industry, so they can churn
bike inventory. But in real life, it's no more necessary than magic
daytime blinkies or funny plastic hats or aerodynamic sunglasses.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... I prefer discs in the rain, which was all my riding
this weekend.Â* Braking was the least of my concerns.Â* I was much more
worried about traction, particularly after a long dry spell.

When I saw a stand of poison oak at the last second on Friday I was sure
glad I had powerful disc brakes. I still did brush against some and have
a slight rash here and there but with weaker brakes that would have been
a different story.

Horrors!

"Only disc brakes can save you from itching!!!"

Last year it was a bit more drastic, same singletrack. Saw a big fat
rattlesnake at the last second. Whew. If you can't brake hard there it
could mean weeks of misery and thousands in co-pay for the expensive
antivenom.

Is this another Joergian game of "Worst Case Scenario"??

--
- Frank Krygowski