Old June 11th 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Chain waxing

On 2018-06-11 09:36, jbeattie wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... Plus, for road riding, ordinary rim
brakes are fine.

As long as it does not rain or hail hard, then they are the pits.

Oh, Gawd.

I and my club mates don't live in a desert. Everyone in our club has
used rim brakes since they started cycling, and all but a very few still
do. We've ridden in countless rains, from showers to thunderstorms,
countless miles. I've been club safety chairman for decades and I hear
about the crashes. I've never heard of one caused by inadequate braking
in the rain. Never.

Back in the days when Campag rim brakes were pretty ordinary in the dry,
my brother was racing in Italy. He recounts a day when they had a
descent in the rain and he just could not brake enough coming toward a
corner, so he put his arm around another racer's shoulders and called
"Campagnolo! Campagnolo!" The other rider understood and braked for
both of them enough to ride around the corner.

That must be why you have never heard of a crash caused by inadequate
braking in the rain. ;-)

[These days of course, Campag rim brakes seem to work well enough, wet
or dry.]

--
JS