Old September 14th 17, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Taya Chain

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 08:44:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 12:09:46 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 21:39:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski

On 2017-09-08 18:52, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/8/2017 3:06 PM, Joerg wrote:

Same with the tires BTW. They had 60k miles, still half the tread but
were well past 10 years. Looked good buy common recommendations state
that means it's time to buy new tires. Try _that_ with a bicycle tire.

60,000 miles on the tires and they still had half the tread left?
Meaning your car tires would last 120,000 miles if they weren't too old?

Yes. Not 120000mi but 100000mi, with ease. I wrote half the tread and I
do not use tires until they are totally bald. It's not safe.

Joerg, you need someone to edit your fantastic claims, to give them at
least a _hint_ of plausibility.

You need to start buying good products.

You need to quit confusing your fantasies with reality.

From
https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...will-tell-you/

"From this extensive test program, we found that high-scoring UHP summer
tires last about 35,000 to 40,000 miles, including the top-rated
Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Add another 20,000 miles or so for most
high-scoring UHP all-season tires. The treadwear champ is the Goodyear
Eagle Sport A/S with an impressive 70,000-mile wear projection in our
test. But expect lower mileage if you drive aggressively and or have a
high-horsepower car."

The "champ" gets 70,000 miles. Your 120,000 and even your 100,000 are
fantasies.

Perhaps they didn't test the tires in California :-)

When I obtained my car a couple of years ago I bought a new set of the best BF Goodrich tires. After only 12,000 miles the tire man said that a set of used tires on my new car looked in better condition.

Yesterday when I did a short 36 mile ride with 2100 feet of climbing the only "good" road I saw was on 100 foot section of repaved road that wasn't done properly. So tires are getting eaten up by things like a 2" jump between the road and a bridge across a stream. On my ride these skips were "leveled" with pavement ramps.

Question: HOW could the roads be allowed to get in this condition? Easy - because politicians spend the money on these bright ideas they have and to hell with maintenance.

Easy :-) I read that:

There are many reasons why the state's transportation hole has grown
over approximately the last 13 years. One is that the state hasn't
increased the gas tax since 1994, reflecting the political difficulty
of tax hikes. Part of the state gas tax is also calculated as a
percentage of the gas price, so when gas prices fall, so does the
state's revenue.

This year, the state gas tax fell by 6 cents per gallon. Overall,
revenue from gas and diesel excise taxes has dropped from $6 billion
to $4.9 billion over the last few years, Caltrans estimates.

But cheer up:

Fuel taxes and vehicle fees are expected to increase for California
residents after state lawmakers passed a major transportation funding
deal that aims to raise $52.4 billion over 10 years to fix a massive
backlog in road and bridge repairs.

Here's where the money would come from:

$24.4 billion by raising gasoline excise taxes. In November, the tax
will increase 12 cents per gallon, or 43 percent above the current
rate of 27.8 cents, and it will continue to rise over the next few
years. The total California gas tax is projected to be 46.7 cents in
July 2018 and 47.3 cents in July 2019. Starting in 2020, the tax will
change with inflation.

$7.3 billion by raising the current 16-cent-a-gallon diesel excise tax
by 20 cents.

$3.5 billion by increasing the state diesel sales tax from 9 percent
to 13 percent.

$16.3 billion from an annual transportation improvement fee based on a
vehicle's value. The fees range from $25 for vehicles valued at less
than $5,000 to $175 for vehicles topping $60,000.

And some miscellaneous millions from:

$200 million from a new $100 annual fee, starting in 2020, on
zero-emission vehicles.

$706 million in repayments of transportation funds previously loaned
to the state's General Fund.

--
Cheers,

John B.