Old November 4th 06, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Default Nearly minus my son :(

wafflycat wrote:
Son arrived home from college not long ago. He is quite shaken. He just
missed being splatted by a car speeding through the village.

He had lights on bike (lit and multitudinous) and was wearing reflective
gilet with three wide nads of reflective around the body and reflective
stripes over the shoulder. The Unfit Family cycle in hours of darkness using
the 'lit up like a Christmas tree/low-flying UFO' principle.

The son was in the process of doing the final RH turn into the private lane
we live on. He looked behind him - nothing coming - signals right - moves to
centre of road (but still LH of central line) - hears engine roaring up from
behind swiftly followed by squeal of brakes as tw@t speeds through village
and overtakes the cyclist who is signalling to make a RH turn...

Thankfully son had his wits about him and *didn't* attempt the RH turn... if
he had, I'd likely be minus a son by now.

Sad to say in the heat of the moment, son didn't get the twunts registration
number.

On the plus side, I'm just exceedingly grateful son is alive, physically
unhurt, just scared witless for a while.

He has had a huge hug and shall be getting more.

Similar happened to me quite a few years ago. I also decided discretion
was better part. I was just in process of turning right, well lit, on
shopping street, when speeding car forced way through on my right.
Woman driver, as it happened. I had young son on childseat on back.
Difficult to credit.