Old February 19th 18, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Ouch. This happened to me once

On 2018-02-19 08:21, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/19/2018 10:32 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shing-car.html

(I was test riding a customer's race bike when Asian
Kitchen delivery
turned in. They replaced his bike.)

How odd! The magic paint somehow failed to prevent the
collision!

The turn signal of the car shown in the video should have.
It is not wise to blow past a car when its turn signal
clearly indicates that the driver intends to turn into
your path. While it is still the fault of the car driver I
do not understand how a cyclist could simply ignore that.

Oh, and bright lights do help in such situations. When a
car driver sees some really bright light in the rear view
and outside mirror that does get their attention.
Experienced it myself many times, when they slammed on the
brake pedal.

It depends. The most deadly right hooks occur with large
trucks and buses. Those vehicles have huge blind spots, not
"may not notice" spots. If your light can't be seen (which
is very typical in such situations) it can't help.

In the U.S. it would have been mirror image, so a right
hook. Over
there, it's a left hook. Either way, it's a common
collision.

And this illustrates the weirdness of the bike lane concept.

Baloney.

So let me ask again:

... Under what
circumstances would a straight-ahead motoring lane be
placed between the
curb and a lane where turns are permitted? And when would
a motorist
think it's safe to "undertake" like that when a vehicle
has its turn
signal blinking?

In other words, who would design an equivalent lane stripe
for a motor vehicle? Not even the most incompetent highway
designer. Yet American bike advocates lobby for such
nonsense until the politicians cave in.

I have witnessed a few such accidents. _All_ of them sans
bike lane.

And doubtlessly, almost all of them edge riders.

Most of them were of the kind "Oh, dang! I have to turn
right here". I had a close call myself while taking the
lane. A Porsche driver thought it was a good idea to speed
past me on the lane left of me and then turn right into a
parking lot. Luckily I was on the MTB with powerful disc
brakes. Maybe the guy didn't think a MTB could be doing
north of 20mph.

I can recall only two sort-of-close-call attempted right
hooks while I was taking the lane. In both cases they
started to pass me on my left then realized they couldn't
make it as I held my position and glared at them. They both
dropped back.

One was within a couple blocks of my office at the
university. The perpetrator was a young kid trying to cross
my path into the right turn lane. (I was in the right
"straight ahead" lane.) He was even more confused than the
guy described above, because he tried to pass, then dropped
back, then tried to pass again, then almost stopped before
merging right properly from behind me.

We ended up side by side at the light. I looked over at him
and said "You're new at this, aren't you?" He just glared
straight ahead until the light changed.

In the modern world, that ends with a headline, "shots fired
in road rage incident"

https://www.channel3000.com/news/del...-say/703673624

--
Andrew Muzi