Old February 8th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain waxing + graphite question

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 17:15:51 -0600, "Mike"
wrote:

"HarryB" wrote in message
.. .
I have been hot waxing my chains for the last year or so and have been
quite pleased with the results. Before I rewax I take the still cool
"cake" of wax out of the cooker and scrape off the small amount of
sediment (dirt) that has settled to the bottom of the cake.

I have read that some people recommend adding some graphite to the wax
to help increase the life of the chain. However, if I add graphite to
the wax, wouldn't it settle to the bottom of the wax cake after I'm
done with waxing? In that case, wouldn't I remove the graphite when I
scrape off the sediment, defeating the purpose of adding the graphite?

Harry

I've used this product in the past. Seems to work great. And now with a
new distributor, should be available.

www.chainbutter.com

I don't see where ChainButter is better than the hot wax method I
presently use. They recommend basically the same procedure for
ChainButter that I use for hot waxing my chains. However, I use a
FryDaddy deep fryer to heat the wax, so there is little danger of
fire. I don't keep accurate notes, but am quite sure I get much better
mileage between waxings than the 300 - 500 miles they claim for
ChainButter. [1] The hot wax cost me only pennys and I expect to use
the same wax for a long time. The ChainButter costs $19.95 + shipping.

[1] I recently replaced the drive chain on our tandem (it broke) which
had just over 2,000 miles on it. I had waxed it either two or three
times and it had only stretched 25% according to my Park Tools Chain
Checker.

Harry