Old April 10th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain Waxing Followup

PS: I am uninterested in hearing about why hot waxing a chain doesn't
"work." I'm simply posting this as an FYI.

The issue with hot waxing a chain isn't about protecting the chain or
squeaking, but rather shifting performance. I can't tell you how many "hot
waxers" (which were especially prevalent in the 90s, for whatever reason)
would come in complaining their bikes weren't shifting well. We'd re-lube
the chain with more-conventional products, and voila, shifting problem gone.
This repeated itself far too many times to be any sort of random thing.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"HarryB" wrote in message
I just rewaxed (with pure paraffin) my chain and post the following
observations:

1) I got about 900 (898 to be exact) miles between waxings this time
(I didn't keep detailed notes of my prior waxing frequency, but
guessed I got upwards of 700 miles between waxings.)

2) All miles were ridden on pavement and none in the rain.

3) During the last couple hundred miles or so I would get some
occasional squeaking during the last half of longer rides (40+ miles),
but would not hear any squeaking on rides that were shorter. I don't
know why.

HarryB