Old June 4th 18, 12:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default MTB touring bike

AMuzi wrote:

should get a 28" MTB steel frame

WTF does that mean, if anything?

I've read there are even 29" MTBs in the US,
forgot the brand tho. I read the cycling press
in the public library cover to cover (well, the
parts on technology at least) but I don't
subscribe so I can't look it up either. It was
mentioned a couple of months ago. (Perhaps
there are 29" MTBs in other countries as well.)

Speaking of MTBs and the US, I also read that
the original MTB was simply a single-speed with
a coaster brake and wide tires. On my military
steel bike, which has a Torpedo 1SP rear hub,
I have these tires

front 56-584 27.5 x 2.20 650-56B
rear 26 x 1-1/2 x 2

So I suppose I have an original "US MTB", only
with a Swedish frame, and a German hub!

But obviously the bike wouldn't do in anything
that resembles a "mountain". Too heavy and no
gears: even too heavy for any puny inclination
in the wild or city alike!

635mm format is, in my experience 1-1/2x1/5/8
only. Nothing wider, nothing skinnier
available anywhere.

635, isn't the modern 28" 622? Well, I have the
following data on 635 [1].

635 700B B = 2nd revision
44-635 28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/2 old-school "V rim"
40-635 28 x 1-1/2 700x38B

The "V rim" is my personal designation where
the rim has the shape of the letter V and all
the spoke holes are on a single line (not
left/right interchangeably like one is used to).
I don't know if this makes the wheel less
strong and more difficult to true?

Yes, you can buy a classic British 28" bike:
http://www.mbzponton.org/n2awa/ralei...007c_small.jpg

Save for the color (black), that looks great!
But doesn't that have the save problems as my
military bike? No gears and too heavy?

A classic British 28", is that this BTW

642 28 x 1-3/8 700A US and UK utility bikes

?

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/TIRE

--
underground experts united