Old March 18th 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Jan Heine on wheel building

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 10:19:01 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9:16:58 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 07:49:50 +0700, John B
wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 10:51:45 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://janheine.wordpress.com

Today's blog post is about building strong wheels.

He seems to ignore the upper spokes. If the bottom spokes become
unloaded ( looser) then, logically, the top spokes must become more
highly loaded (tighter) :-) -- Cheers,

groan And here we go again... ;-)

The conversation always reminds me of The Boonie Book.
https://www.amazon.com/Boonie-Book-R.../dp/0912656174

We had a copy when I was a kid and I read it over and over and
practiced the tricks and maintained my hodaka as instructed. The
author, Carl Shipman, who also wrote a series of books about cameras
(How to use Canon SLR Cameras, How to use Nikon SLR Cameras, ...) had
a very paternalistic writing style and sounded very knowledgeable. He
went into discussions of stuff like rake and trail which were very
interesting. He also claimed, in his typical paternalistic and
reassuring way, that tying and soldering spokes makes a stronger
wheel. He also explained, accompanied by a series of drawings, that
while a wooden-spoke wagon wheel stands on the bottom spoke, a
tangenitally-laced wire-spoke wheel hangs from the top two.

With a perfectly rigid rim, that would be closer to correct although not
entirely. In a wheel in which the spokes have no tension, it would be
even closer to being correct. Unusable, but closer to being correct.