Old July 27th 17, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default How long should caliper brake springs last?

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 7:08:07 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/27/2017 8:30 AM, wrote:

Wouldn't you think that after 30 years that it is likely that the spring is rusted and dragging against itself? If you clean the spring of it's rust you still have the pitting which reduces the action of the spring.

In theory maybe but I've never seen that in real life. Rust
is ugly but in terms of % reduction of cross section of a
spring, it's meaningless.

Well, I haven't seen the spring reduced in spring power, but I have seen it drag against itself so much that it effectively reduced the spring pressure. But perhaps I've seen a whole lot more junk than you have. People aren't going to bring equipment like that to a mechanic.