Old August 12th 17, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

On 2017-08-11 19:59, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 16:59:50 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-11 16:52, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 11:00:32 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

The BB on my MTB makes a ticking sound when warmed up, sounds similar to
a hot car engine after it is turned off. It has also develoved an ever
so slight play, just a few mils. It is an Shimano ES25 Octalink.

How long do you guys let that go before replacing?

Can anyone recommend a better quality BB for this that lasts longer than
5k miles and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I see Octalink bottom brackets for sale for four British pounds :-)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c...t/rp-prod34653
About $5.00.

I saw that as well. It's a clearance item in an odd diameter. $6.99 when
clicking the link in the US. I guess in new-speak that's called "target
group pricing" or something similar :-)

I believe in the grocery store marketing it is called a "loss Leader".

I meant different prices for different regions or people. One big player
recently got into trouble for that which netted them a not-so-honorary
mention in the Wall Street Journal.

Then there is dynamic pricing where if you click too often on an item
its price suddenly ratchets up. I immediately head to a competitor if
any store does that to me.

Although I also notice that Amazon wants 20-odd dollars for one and
e-bay has them for about $18.00

Yep. No problem to just buy one but considering the paltry service life
I would like to know whether there is something better than ES25 at
reasonable cost. Meaning not necessarily a $200+ Phil Woods BB.

Well, Chain Reaction has the ES25 BB for sterling 3.99 and the ES51
for 23.49 so you can change five ES25 BB's for the price of one ES51
:-)

I don't care if it's $10, $20 or $30. As long as it fits and I don't
have to change those things like underwear.

I also see an ES300 for $16.68 and there are also Shimano Dura-Ace
Octalink BB's and although I don't know whether they fit, Dura-Ace is
usually considered as very high quality.

It may be time to write to Shimano, hoping they'll answer. To me this
flurry of model numbers is confusing and not all are 100% compatible.
The cranks have to fit and the chain line should remain roughly the same.

I was hoping that someone had the same issue with paltry ES25 lifetime
and could tell me "Here, buy that one, lasts a lot longer" (and where it
fits well).

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg