Old September 9th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Default conditioning question

It's best to take days off, keep it light every other day, or what I
would do; cardio one day & strength training the next.

A workout I like:
*20 squat jumps - squat, explode up and land back into your next
squat.
*50 knee push-ups.
*20 double leg lifts - lay on back and when your legs get virtical lift
your legs and hips as high as you can.
*30 swimming - lay on stomach w/ arms overhead and raise alternating
arms and legs, like a freestyle stroke.

I could get in 4 sets w/ a couple of minutes for stretching at the end
w/in 30 min. Since I do it w/o resting, it gets a decent cardio
workout as well.

Some other things you might want to try:
*Hopping back and forth over a bench w/o stopping. And/or doing the
same w/ pausing for an instant on top of it.
*Jumping lounges - do a lounge, jump switch feet in the air and land
back in a lounge.

If you bring an extra shirt, you could do the above workout on your
lunch brake.

A long time ago I heard about a semi-pro athlete (I forget the sport)
who would do stuff like walking lounges around the office when he went
anywhere and 50 push ups/leg lifts/etc every time he got up from his
desk, which he did several times an hour. This allowed him to be as
compettitive as he could be w/ pros, short of quiting his job (he was
attracting intrest of some big sponsors, he said if he got some of
those, he'd quite working).

I think running, w/ a few short sprints, would be better than nordic
track. Like running laps and sprinting 30~40 yds each lap. Improving
your sprinting could help w/ some UPD's.

To keep from getting bored doing things like cardio, I listen to music
or books on tape.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'