Old October 31st 08, 04:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
KingOfTheApes

Default Could Key West be a bike model for America?

On Oct 31, 12:34*pm, Henry wrote:
Papa Tom wrote:
Sounds to me like the rest of you guys are whipping him/her up pretty well.
Are you sure King of the Apes is the problem, or is it just that many of
this group's members are unwilling to "respectfully disagree" with him/her?
Just my unsolicited input. * Papa Tom

* They're just angry, uptight, and easily offended with
no authority in real life, so they come to usenet to
play tough guys and 'net cops. ;-)

Exactly, and AFRAID OF NEW IDEAS, which should be whole point of
reading the Internet, right? If I wanted to have the official
viewpoint, I'd tune to Fox News, I guess.

Anyway, there's seem to be a contradiction between Key West design
(old town that ironically comes to be called "new urbanism" nowadays)
and the urban sprawl representative of the American landscape...

(I answer below)

Originally Posted by andrelam

"I've visted KeyWest and would agree that if there is ANY town in
America that can be made largely car free this one would be it. I've
walked clear across town in less than 20 minutes. Many European cities
have banned general driving in their city cores with some limited
driving allowed for business owners (mostly delivery vehickles). You'd
be able to open up the main streets near where the cruise ships arrive
and make then all 100 pedestrian zones. In Holland this works great is
just about every village or city I've seen. Delivery vehicles can
still make it through, they just drive very slowly. Cyclist and
pedestrians have no problem integrating in those streets either."

Happy riding,
André

***

Yep, then we are back to square one... We don't have bikes in Main
Street because it was made to accommodate cars, so we'd have to start
by demolishing 75% of America, and then build it again.

And yet, I'm sure we can accomodate bikes in the suburban landscape if
there was the POLITICAL WILL and/or public demand.