Old March 19th 19, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Something I've been wondering about.

On 2019-03-19 05:37, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/19/2019 6:32 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Last Sunday I was on my usual weekly "long ride" (which was hardly as
long as it used to be). And I was sort of looking down and the chain
was on the big chain ring and the 5th cassette sprocket (9 speed
cassette) and I got to thinking.

Note the friction losses for a chain drive are usually considered to
be very low, the usual efficiency of a chain drive is usually reckoned
to be "up to" 98%. But the instructions for installing a chain drive
is always to ensure that the drive and driven sprockets are exactly in
line.

But the conventional bicycle with it's multiple front and rear
sprockets does not have the sprockets aligned except in two instances,
assuming the usual chain line dimensions. When on the large front
chain ring and (usually) the center cassette sprocket on an uneven
numbered cassette, and when on the small front chain ring and a larger
cassette sprocket. Perhaps two sprockets larger than center.

So, if the usually chain efficiency figures are used the chain is
delivering the 98%+ efficiency only twice in a possible 18 speed
range.

What efficiency is being delivered during the periods when the chain
is not perfectly aligned?

And should one worry about it?

Classic chain is roller chain and yes those run dramatically worse when
chainline is askew. But after Sedisport, modern derailleur chain has
interrupted sideplates with no full roller so they are quite forgiving
of misalignment or, viewed another way, better shifting on derailleur
systems. One downside is much faster wear but since they are relatively
cheaper to make, we just throw them out sooner.

I don't know the numbers for efficiency of derailleur chain at various
angles but I think you're right although it may well be a reasonable
tradeoff for other features.

The Sachs-Sedis chains were the best and longest lasting I ever had on
the road bike. The bad news is that I used up my last one in 2018 :-(

As for cheaper, I don't think that's true. A good KMC 7-speed costs
around $20. The Sachs-Sedis used to retain for $5-6 which would probably
be $12-23 in today's Dollars.

I meant $12-14. They cost surprisingly little and that wasn't even an
online price but LBS.

Lesson learned: If you find good stuff like this buy a larger stash. A
much larger one.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/