Old March 13th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

Default Philly Phlyer - bikes ripped off?

RicodJour wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

John Neil wrote:

Look who's the organ donor now? Read the first sentence. "At dinner." It
didn't happen at the race. The promoter isn't responsible in the least.
The only thing the promoters are at fault for is putting on a HUGE race that
went off without a hitch. It did not happen at the race.

Are you kidding me? The OP was just trying to express some compassion
because he heard something bad happened to someone. I didn't say I was
astonished - and it was my own car. Did either the OP or I act as if we
were surprised?

Dear College,

First of all, answer this question you smart-aleck college student: Were
you or were you not aware that theft and car break-ins in Philadelaphia
and the vicinity were astronomically greater than in 95% of the rest of
the country? If the answer is no, then the warning would have gone a
long way to preventing this theft.

Your logic is faulty. Most people don't look to a race organizer for
their off-site security. I also don't expect the promoter to provide
a full Wiki workup of a city, including restaurant ptomaine and
salmonella statistics. I don't expect them to point out spotty cell
phone coverage with admonitions to avoid breaking down in those areas,
mortality rates at local hospitals or anything other than to put on a
smoothly run race. They did. Well, except for the toilets.

Then why do the promoters of Commerce Bank Philly provide security and
deal with those issues? Answer: because it's not a cool thing when
$4,000 bikes and $2,000 laptops get ripped off because people from out
of town don't know the area has a high rate of car break-iins and theft.

At least put a warning on the flyer. Your comments about the
restaurents and hospital mortality rates is not on point.

Magilla