Old March 14th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Default Philly Phlyer - bikes ripped off?

MagillaGorilla wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

Your logic is faulty. Most people don't look to a race organizer for
their off-site security. I also don't expect the promoter to provide
a full Wiki workup of a city, including restaurant ptomaine and
salmonella statistics. I don't expect them to point out spotty cell
phone coverage with admonitions to avoid breaking down in those areas,
mortality rates at local hospitals or anything other than to put on a
smoothly run race. They did. Well, except for the toilets.

Then why do the promoters of Commerce Bank Philly provide security and
deal with those issues? Answer: because it's not a cool thing when
$4,000 bikes and $2,000 laptops get ripped off because people from out
of town don't know the area has a high rate of car break-iins and theft.

Gee, Sparky, do you think that hiring security for parking lots and
riders just might have something to do with the fact that one is a
major (for the US) race with a lot of corporate sponsorship and a big
budget and the other is a collegiate race where there was _nothing_
for sale and no corporate presence at all?

Try to pause between thoughts so you don't strain something.