Old January 9th 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

On 1/9/2018 1:21 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:

I remember driving from Chicago back to Minnesota many years ago as a
young driver. I was on I-90 in the middle of Wisconsin on a bitterly
cold late afternoon; between Madison and the Dells. No snow cover yet,
just danged cold and not a sign of ice on the road. I drove onto a
short three lane bridge with a curve; started out in the inside lane and
a second later was exiting the bridge in the outside lane- white as a
sheet and with eyes like saucers, I'm sure. It was sheer luck I didn't
park it in the guard rail and that there weren't any other cars anywhere
near me.

As long as we're telling stories: My most exciting winter driving moment
happened when I was in my early 20s. I was motoring along on a two-lane
road on a slippery day. Approaching me up ahead was a large box truck.
Its driver put on his left turn signal and commenced a turn into a
grocery store parking lot.

He didn't make the turn. Instead, his truck began a complete rotation
within the roadway. After 90 degrees it was coming at me perfectly
sideways, taking both lanes. Fortunately, the rotation continued.

There was no way I could stop, of course. I had enough traction to move
to the left (oncoming) lane, and fortunately, there was no other
oncoming traffic. I used that lane to drive past the truck as it slid
backwards along in the right lane I had been using.

I'm not sure, but I think the truck came to a stop on the shoulder still
facing backward. I went on my way, perhaps a little more carefully.

BTW, that was in my '66 Corvair Corsa.

--
- Frank Krygowski