Old June 3rd 05, 04:29 PM
Tony Raven

Default Lost in translation

Reading a report on the LCC list about another cyclist killed in the
City (hit from behind by a motorbike while stationary at the side of the
road) I realised that we need a dictionary to translate what they say
into what they mean (a bit like a dictionary of cockney)

For starters from that report we have:

"the lack of a helmet could have been the
'cause' of death" = He was killed by a motorbike*

Other entried invited
--
Tony

"Don't argue the matter, the difficulties will argue for themselves"
-W.S. Churchill

* "I found out during an informal chat with City Police about the latest
cyclist fatality which happened about 6.30pm on 18 May at St Martin Le
Grand (between St Paul's and Museum of London roundabout) just before
the turn to Newgate. A cyclist had stopped apparently (maybe due to
hearing a police siren?) and a motorcyclist went into the back of them
propelling them forward. The cyclist died in a couple of hours, one
police officer saying that the lack of a helmet could have been the
'cause' of death. "