Old April 27th 07, 12:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Unsafe at any speed?-Path beside Beach Rd

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 27 Apr 2007 07:07:30 +0800
Theo Bekkers wrote:
EuanB wrote:

OK, I'll spell out once more my idea of a safe bike path.

Exclusive to cyclists.

One way.

Priority over all other traffic at intersctions, including
pedestrians.

Well surfaced, surface to be at least 3 meters wide.

Width of path to be at least five meters to allow good sight lines.

What about another three meters for a passing lane? Why not just bitumenise
the planet?

Nah, just hand over the roads currently used by cars to bicycles.

OK, the city as we know it will disappear but on the other hand it will
stop those pesky mountain bikers playing silly buggers in areas they
can't ride to and completely remove questions about bike racks on cars,
so that's something.

Zebee