Old May 9th 05, 04:17 PM
Paul D

On 9 May 2005 08:13:50 -0700, wrote:

Just recently someone has erected a "kissing gate" on the tow path just
past Iffley lock on the Thames in Oxford. Before hand there used to be
a gate

This renders it almost impossible to take a bicycle through, although
it can be achieved with great difficulty.

I am absolutely furious about this, especially considering this does
indeed form part of the national cycle route no. 5 (see
www.sustrans.org.uk)

It is obviously known that this route is used by a lot of cyclists, and
obviously someone somewhere has decided they don't like cyclists and
are doing their best to block them. Now short of (illegally) tearing
this gate down, what exactly can I do about it?

Well, the first thing to do would be to find out who erected it.

Surely if it's legal to cycle on that route, then the gate would be an illegal
obstruction.