Old June 11th 04, 07:21 PM
Badger_South

Default Planning a very long ride - 8 hrs

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:03:33 +0200, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
wrote:

It's now 15 days before I will do my longest ride so far this year. It's a
16-18 hour long ride (540 km). I will be riding with a group and we plann
3-4 stops during the ride. Each stop will be about 5 minutes - enough time
to fill up bottles and the jersey pockets with food. Eating will be done on
the bike.

We start early in the morning. The worst part is when it gets dark. Some
people can get very sleepy during the dark period of the night (we live far
north, so it will not be completly dark), and it can cause some dangerous
situation if riders get too sleepy.

The amount of training before such a long ride, is very important. Long
training tours is a must. So far I have 3 rides over 100 km (3 1/2 hour or
more each tour). I hope to get at least one more 100+ km ride before I do
the looooong tour...

Good luck on your 8-hour ride.

Wow. Good luck to you, too. Mine's still in the 'fantasy stage', but I'm
pretty sure I'll try it in the fall when it's cooler.

Uh, you say long training tours are a must? If my mental calculations are
correct, it sounds like your training tour is very short!

I'll have done several rides at ~50% of the total time/distance, and have
already done 1/2 the expected distance on a 45lb broken beater bike.

I can't imagine riding 8 hours on a base of only 1-2 hr as the max ride, or
on 1/10th the total distance! Of course if you've been riding for 10 years,
and / or are pretty young and resilient...may be a different story. (Maybe
you made a typo?)

Where are you (Denmark?) and do you have a map online of that cool ride
you're doing?

Some day I hope to be able to do a Brevet like that. Good job.

-B