Old March 5th 05, 12:03 AM
RonSonic

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:21:48 -0800, (Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
RonSonic writes:

The OP was, I am sure, being deliberately provocative. But did manage to stay
IMO in fair territory while making a feint for the sideline you were covering.
We'll see if he actually had a point beyond seeing if he could get other people
to argue.

Nah, Chris has posted to the newsgroup for quite a while, and
I know he's no troll. I'm sure he has genuinely perceived a
dearth of black cyclists (particularly in club circles,) and
he sincerely and innocently wonders why that is.

I've similarly noticed in my own local experience how
pre-college-aged youth appears to be under-represented
among cyclists, although there seems to be a recent trend
away from that.

Competitive cycling has suck all for a youth program. Yeah, yeah, you hear about
such things, but mostly they don't much give a **** beyond finding out who's
likely to go to the Junior worlds next year.

If you don't get 10 year olds to think it's cool you won't have 14 year olds
with an interest or 16 year olds with a chance.

Ron