Old June 27th 03, 03:10 PM
Andrew Thorne

Default Getting over the mighty log (jumping that is)

So, when most of you come across a log on the trail--let's say it is 8-12
inches tall.

Do You:

1) get off and carry your bike over
2) hop over it
3)bunny hop over it
4)Other

You see, out of all the obstacles I come across, this is the only one that
consistently stumps me. I can get over them most of the time(especially
when they are smaller--heheheh), but it never feels smooth(rear wheel
bumps), sometimes I hit my chainring, and 1/3 of the time I fall or get
stuck. I am so frustrated because I can't seem to figure out how to get
over them easily after many, many times trying. Soooo, what do you all do
when you see a log up ahead? And, what do you recommend me trying. I'll
practice anything if it'll help.

Thanks,

Alan McClure

Lotsa good advice so far, but I'm surprised no one has suggested the cyclocross
approach.

1) Approach the log at pretty high speed. (Middle ring, halfway down the
cassette)

2) Clip out your right foot and swing your right leg around to the left side of
your bike.

3) Pass your right foot between your left leg and the frame, clip out your left
foot at the same time.

4) Hit the ground running fast. Hoist your bike up onto your shoulder in the
same motion as jumping off.

5) Run/jump over the log

6) Get the bike off your shoulder and onto the ground, still running alongside

7) Leap back on without breaking stride.

8) Sprint away, leaving the guys who slowed down to ride over it in your dust.

Cheers,

-Andrew