Old September 16th 20, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

Default DT Swiss 460 rims

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 12:23:58 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 4:22:33 PM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 6:09:26 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 2:29:01 PM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 12:52:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Op dinsdag 15 september 2020 om 18:50:35 UTC+2 schreef :
These are tubeless compatible do they have traditional spoke access holes?
Deacon Mark
yes.

Well more questions. I used the DT Swiss spoke calculator and input the hubs dimensions that I measure myself to make certain. It is a basic Novotec f842sb hub. According the the calculations it says 282 for DS and 287 for NON DS. That seems to be more than usual of 2 mm difference. I am sure of my measuring does that seem reasonable to have 5mm difference?

Deacon Mark
IIRC, its around 281/282 3X NDS on a Shimano Ultegra hub with the DT460s. You're numbers are way off unless that Novatec is a high-low flange hub, and even if it were, it would have to have a really low NDS. Could you send us a link to the hub. Those numbers don't pull anything up.

-- Jay Beattie.

2 cross my rim my bad

Deacon mark

I don't know the hub but suspect the spoke calc is wrong because of some input error. I could see getting that kind of length disparity on a high-low hub or a hub with different cross-patterns side to side like 3X DS and 2X NDS.

-- Jay Beattie.

i did a recalculation and I get 276 for DS and 280 Non DS. I am sure the calculations are correct this time. I went back through the hub remeasured all points. Without taking off the spokes and trying to measure the difference on the spokes now they are pretty close to 4mm difference. I wish I had a source to buy spokes as needed not in crazy lots of 50 or 100 and I just need standard DB steel spokes. I think Wheelsmith are fine but I don't even know if they are in business. I tried googling all the various places for spokes and what a crap shoot. I think this covid crap has everything on back order in the bike world. My normal source for wheelsets is all out. I wonder if Andrew is building wheels for customers like mad. I prefer to build my own wheels I just get weird on spoke calculations. You enter all the data an yet at times I think the final product might suggest a different length even if they worked fine. I am not sure how OCD one should be with spoke calcs. I don't build enough wheels to know if you round up or down? What if you fall in between on an odd number go up or down?

Deacon Mark