Old October 7th 12, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 6, 3:01*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:53*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I usually have my straps set at a sort of compromise length, loose
enough to flip into very quickly, but tight enough to provide just a
bit of security against foot slips. *They're tight enough that I can
bunny hop, which is good enough for me.

Based on all the trick riding I see, you don't need to be clipped in
to bunny hop the bike -- but I find it hard to do on a road bike
without clips, so I must be a flounder...

I just tried it, to be sure of my memory. As I thought, I can get the
rear wheel up just a little, maybe a couple inches, on a bike without
clips. That's my retro 3 speed. I seem to be pushing a bit rearward
on the pedals to do it, which seems to be the same thing I see in
videos like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o although
there's obviously a lot more going on with someone at that skill
level. For example, he temporarily repeals the law of gravity...

- Frank Krygowski