Old April 30th 18, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Do EVO pads fit in KoolStop holders?

On 2018-04-28 18:34, John B. wrote:

[...]

With all your cable problems I'd think that a "dead weight"
cable tester would be to your advantage. Simple to build and
simple to operate it would ensure that your cables met the
necessary strength requirements.

It won't help. At least mine didn't fail during emergency hard-pul
situations. I have learned early on not to lock up my brakes,
whether on bikes or in cars, unless it is advantageous and even
then you don't need much force. They just ... failed, out of the
blue. For example, when I cam home from school I approached the
last traffic light 1/2mi from our house. It was red, so I applied
front and read brake. Front cable snapped and the bumper of a BMW
helped me to come to a stop. The driver got out but when he saw the
cable jacket flopping around in the air he said "Oh, yes, that
happens", got back in and drove off. I guess he was a cyclist and
it seemed like he also had that happen.

Where did your cables snap? Did the heads pull off?

Yes, in all cases.

... Did you change the housing after the failures?

No, though I did smooth the channels a little with fine-grit sandpaper
and polishing paste. Couldn't help much though because the heads simply
pulled out of the cables.

Besides, why do we as end users a.k.a. consumers have to correct design
mistakes on bicycles so often?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/