Old December 10th 18, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default A bit of a Do

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 4:19:32 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 11:26:16 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped

But we saw a few people who obviously identified as "cyclists." Even if
they were riding at 8 mph and had multi-layer belly bulges, they were
decked out in skintight lycra and had a useless but fashionable plastic
hat on their head. If you're a "cyclist" it's fashionable to dress that
way, so that's what those "cyclists" did.

Snipped

--
- Frank Krygowski

Useless plastic hat is just your opinion Frank. LOL VBEG ;)

However helmets do have many uses. I like mine because I find that a helmet mounted mirror is easier to use than one on my eyeglasses when I wear ski goggles over my glasses. Also, when taking an image that you want your bicycle to be in and there's no hand tree or fence post to lean t he bike against, the helmet is excellent as a support when placed on the ground and the pedal resting against the top of the helmet.

I'll wear my helmet thank you very much and you can ride without one. After all it's up to the individual bicyclist to choose what they want.

I still don't get why you feel the need to ridicule everyone who chooses to utilize something you don't.

Seems to me that wasn't ridiculing so much as commenting. Ridiculing would be saying something like "Why are you wearing a psychedelic-colored hat shaped like an octopus landed on your head? Do you ride so badly that you're afraid of toppling over at your 8 mph?"

But I didn't say that.

I could make the same comments about other modern fashion choices. Why do so
many young women buy brand new jeans that come pre-tattered, like they are
thrift store rejects? Why do people spend big money inking their arms all the
way from wrists to shoulders? Why were campus coeds wearing vapor-thin barefoot
sandals in winter ten years ago, and now they're wearing Uggs boots in the heat
of summer? What's the deal with piercings anyway? Why do so many people get
together with friends but spend all that time gazing at smart phones instead of
talking? Or hell, why do we have lawns anyway?

There's a lot of weird fashion in the world, and it seems to spread like
wildfire. This is a bike discussion group, so I talked about the weird bike
fashions.

(Why do people wear helmets for bicycling but not for walking even in slippery
weather, when pedestrians have more fatalities per mile year round?)

- Frank Krygowski