Old April 3rd 16, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Today's Ride

1.6 miles to the grocery store, 1.6 back. I wore oxford shoes and got
away with it. (Wikipedia says that "oxford" is a very specific style,
but when I was growing up, it just meant the ordinary lace-up shoe
that everybody wore; if it wasn't buckled or a slip-on, we called it
an oxford.)

Fans will be pleased to know that I got ideas for two half-baked
columns. Since there was one in the buffer, this means that AG: will
continue for three more weeks -- unless I look at one or more and say
"oh, yuk; there are *limits*".

I wonder what my intentions were when I started writing columns?

I wrote the above on Tuesday, 22 March 2016. I don't know why I
didn't send it that night, but I do know why it's been languishing
since Thursday the 24th. Today is the first time I've been able to
spare sitting-at-the-typewriter time for non-essentials.

For a while, any ideas I get will pertain to bicycle-shaped objects,
specifically the "comfort bike" I bought a few years ago for use as a
pedal-powered wheelchair. I have "arthritic changes", as the doctor
delicately phrased it, in a hip-to-spine joint, which late-night
introspection has convinced me is almost certainly due to the terrific
thump my left hip took in the late eighties or early nineties when I
tried to start my bike while standing in a puddle of oil that I had
mistaken for water.

Maybe there's a column: avoid puddles when there hasn't been any
rain.

A medical column in the paper said that cycling is a good way to stave
off arthritis, but there's the little matter of getting on and off. I
can't afford to give that hip another thump. (It got bashed again
when I slipped on ice early in the century, and may have been included
in the spectacular array of bruises I collected when I lost my balance
while reading a map a year or three ago. (Dropped a paper, tried to
pick it up without dismounting.))

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/