Old August 14th 18, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Homemade U-lock rack support

On 2018-08-13 08:27, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Frank Krygowski, 2018-08-13 17:11+0200:
Nice. If the appearance was bothersome, you could use a black tube held
in place with black zip ties.

Black tube, yes, if I can find some, but I only ever saw white tube in
hardware stores. Black zip ties, no, bad idea, as they let the tube
slide on the sides. I would rather use some black tape.

Zip ties are also bad in terms of reliability. It seems UV rays
embrittle them and then they just fall off. A while ago I chased and
stopped an MTB rider whose rear brake hose had come loose because of
that and was chafing on the rear wheel. Luckily I always have a
snippet of wire in my tool kit. Zip ties, too, but those only for
temporary fixes.

Hmm. Well, I suppose that failure is possible, but:

My wife has some wire baskets filled with flowers hanging from a steel
balcony railing that I fabricated long ago. I attached those baskets
using black zip ties at least three years ago, IIRC. Those are in full
sun for about half the day. They're still fine.

I suppose I could pass out helmets to people sitting in the patio below
the balcony...

If your sun is like the California sun I sure would consider that after
three years.

I used to zip-tie sprinkler risers to rebar that I pounded into the
ground, to prevent them from tilting and looking ugly. All of them,
literally all of them, snapped and fell off after several years. Now
it's all wire and nothing falls off.

Sometimes the older methods are still best.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/