Old September 6th 03, 07:21 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Need to go faster / New to road bikes

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:36:13 +0000 (UTC), Ken wrote:
Learn to pedal faster and more smoothly. A 52-13 gear is pleanty fast
enough to get you up to 40mph if you pedal at a good cadence. Serious

37.5 mph @ 120 rpm for 700x23c tires, according to
the Sheldon gear calc. So, 52x13 is sufficient for
40 mph for people who want to spin up to [130?]
rpm or so.

recreational riders should be able to get up to 200 rpm for short

How do you define "recreational"? I can't
imagine 200 rpm at all. My legs feel like
they'll fly off at 150! I certainly am not
(and don't need to be, given tall enough
gears) smooth past 125 rpm.

While he could certainly pedal faster, he could
also enjoy taller gears and put more pressure
on the pedals if he so pleases.

sprints. Even pro racers use only slightly faster gears than what you
have (maybe 1 more tooth in front and 1 less in back).

53x11 is the tallest _common_ gearing, for
racers and recreationalists alike, AFAIK.
Of course, racers have different reasons
to use 53x11 than non-racers...

--
Rick "Didn't we have this thread already?" Onanian