Old November 24th 03, 01:29 PM
Van Hoorebeeck Bart

Default Ghent Six Day Excursion

I realised
that travelling round these parts consists of two distinct modes:

It's far more difficult than you describe. Ghent inner anicent city is about
totally car free, and around it there are single directions almost everywhere. Even
to me they are always a challenge (and a pleasure.)

So, when we finally got to the general area
of the hotel,

I dont get this, later you say the hotel is in St-Martens-Latem (LOL), which is a
small town south of Gent. Getting off the E17 a bit earlier would have kept you
from entering Gent without reason at rush hour. I can't imagine net-based
roadfinders send you into the city.
And yes, your hotel is situated in a red light district which is 50 kms long.

. I was wondering whether Museeuw's
accident in which he was rammed by a car while starting his motorcycle
parked on a sidewalk was all that unusual.

It was Museeuw's mistake , while clumsily taking a turn, being on the road.
That said, yes we score bad in road safety and accident statistics. But not worse
than France....
Most people are f*cked up about speed, and yes, one can have a hellufatime riding
around at the max. speed with a dozen of honkers on your tail.On motorways, outside
rush hour, 140 kmh is the normal speed (120kms is max. allowed). Police cameras are
being demolished all over the country.

walking off a curb onto a crosswalk immediately cause traffic to halt in
both directions.

if all goes well... I think it's more of a genocidal plan towards assertive
pedestrians.

To my surprise there was a woman at the door requesting 50
cents for the privilege of using the facilities. I mumbled something
about not paying for washing and walked in without encountering
further resistance.

How rude. really. if you were an incomeless teenager OK, but now....
Paying for the loo is normal at paying events here. even in railway stations it is.
those people try to keep the place in order
If you've seen toilets at mass events where there is no such personnel, you's pay
50 cents with pleasure.

By now it was 10 pm and time for the half time show. Once again, this
went completely against my expectations, as it consisted of a real
cycling race, not some off the wall attempt to entertain the audience.

That's more the tradition in Germany, Ghent likes to maintian a connaisseur image.

B.