Old April 16th 10, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
bfd

Default Ultegra shifter problem

On Apr 15, 9:59*pm, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
"gary" wrote in message

graham,

can i see this screw normally or do i need to pull back the rubber
shroud (not really sure what the real name is) in order to see it?
hopefully i try to check it out this weekend. *if that is not it i'll
the flushing as was mentioned.

if my initial swipe to get it into a lower gear does not "click" then
by swiping the level as far as it goes and then returning and trying
again usually allows the gear change. *hopefully it is as simple as
you mentioned.

If the advice from others about cleaning and relubing or cable fray does
not
work check that the screw on the underside of the lever at the top where
the
lever leaves the housing is still there and tight. I had similar symptoms
yours when that screw on my STI came loose.

Graham.

Graham,
Thank you very much for the advice! My early Ultegra STI right shifter
behaves similarly to what gary described. I've sprayed it heavily with Power
Lube, replaced the cable, and replaced housing, none of which fixed it.
Looking at my lever shows that screw to be _gone_. Off to find a replacement
screw, with high hopes.

gary,
Will try to describe where the screw is that Graham spoke about. You can see
the screw (or where it should be) without pulling back the rubber hood. With
the bike resting on it's tires, look up under the lever from the rear, in
the area where the small lever pivots. The order of pieces, from the front
of the bike, is: large lever, small lever, small plate (kind of "P" shaped).
There should be a screw that goes through a hole in the small plate into a
threaded hole in the large lever. My early Ultegra lever (the left side one,
that still has a screw) has what looks like an ordinary round-headed screw.
Also have a much later set of Ultegra levers, they have screws with
hexagonal outlines, and there's a thin metal locking device with tabs bent
inward against the sides of the hexagon, looking to prevent the screws from
loosening.
Good luck,
Kerry

All,
If you need to disassemble your STI lever, there is a website where a
guy disassembled and reassembled both a DA AND Ultegra STI lever.
Looks alot more complex than Campy, but do-able. Probably the hardest
part is finding small parts as Shimano doesn't sell them. Good Luck

link: http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/...ti/removal.php

DA link: http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/...9sti/strip.php

Ultegra link: http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/...9sti/strip.php