Old October 19th 17, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bicycling & health benefits of?

On 2017-10-18 23:40, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 07:39:00 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 07:57:02 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-17 20:52, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 07:47:55 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-16 18:59, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 07:52:51 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-16 04:16, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 10:02:00 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-09 21:09, Tim McNamara wrote:

[...]

And a walk is inexpensive.

Not really when seen per mile. I walk about two
miles every day so that's around 700mi/year. A
pair of $30 sports shoes wears out within a year
so 4c/mile. I get more than that out of a road
bike rear tire. Sandals don't wear out that fast
for whatever reason but can't be used much in
winter.

Get rid of the shoes. The feet are self healing and
will grow to accommodate even black top pavement.

I would add, before you start you say it is
impossible, that Zola Budd set the world 5,000
metre record running barefoot. Her mile best of
4:17.57 in 1985, still stands as the British
record. Barefooted.

Oh, I could, since I already walk and bicycle with
sandals all summer long. Problem is, without any
shoes one carries the dirt into the house because you
can't switch feet at the entrance door, and that will
make the missus grumpy (rightfully so). Especially
when coming back from a dirt trail.

How primitive. The Thais, who were essentially shoeless
in years gone by solved the problem by placed a tub of
water outside the door and washed their feet before
going in the house.

So the foot fungus from the first person is spread to all
the others?

Foot fungus is very rare in places where people don't wear
shoes :-)

Nope. People walking barefoot in places where others do so as
well are the ones getting infected. The risk is usually
highest in wet areas. This is one of the reasons the US
miltary encourages soldiers to wear "shower shoes" when
taking a shower.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15864252

Do some more reading.

Candida is a strain of fungus that can cause an infection in
your skin, among other locations. In normal conditions, your
skin may host small amounts of this fungus. Problems arise when
it begins to multiply and creates an overgrowth... The
overriding conditions that encourage fungus growth is "The
fungus thrives in warm, moist, and sweaty conditions."

But those canny Thais don't wash their feet in the common
tub. what they do is dip some clean water out of the tub
and slosh it over their feet to get them clean.

That's going to help a whole lot when someone has just
stepped into a blob of gooey sap from a pine tree. When I
come home from MTB rides I often have that under my shoes.
Since they get swapped in the garage, no problem.

Strange that it doesn't seem to be a problem in actual practice
isn't it? Or, at least in all the years that I've lived in Asia
I've never seen it be a problem.

But more to the point I grew up in New England where the pine
tree was, perhaps, the most common tree and unless you actually
climbed a pine tree we never got any sap on your feet. It
doesn't just drip off the trees to cover the ground.

But maybe California pine trees are different.

Addendum: I came across this today. Apparently California is
different :-)
http://www.ehow.com/info_8691222_sti...e-needles.html
Pine needles may also be covered in a sticky substance caused by
disease and infestation, such as aphids, which are attracted to
pine trees. According to the University of California's
Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources, "Aphids are
small, soft-bodied insects with long, slender mouth parts that
they use to pierce stems, leaves, and other tender plant parts
and suck out plant fluids." In addition to causing openings in
pine trees which may cause sap to leak, the aphids themselves
emit a sticky substance called honeydew.

I came home from a long singletrack ride yesterday. The last couple
of miles are on asphalt and both tires emitted the usual
lip-smacking sounds. Had to stop before the garage, whip out the
trusty old Swiss Army knife and scrape the pine sap blobs out of
the knobbies. Just another normal day in paradise.

When helping another MTB rider fix a flat the drill here is to
never just grab a wheel with both hands without looking first.
Goat's head thorns are the main reason but also sap. Some kinds of
sap won't come off the skin with just soap and water.

Joerg, you have the weirdest riding problems. Why would you worry
about ecyclists on MTB trails or pine tar under pine trees?

I wouldn't mind much about pine sap getting on the garage floor or
occasionally on the carpet. However, I am married and my wife does.

E-bike riders are ok as long as they behave and some whippersnappers
don't use the E-portion to bomb a singletrack at 35mph or more like dirt
bikers do. I grew up in the times when gas-motorized bicycles became all
the rage. Needless to say, very soon there were competitions going one
between school mates who could soup up his so it goes fastest. Until one
of my class mates ended up under a truck and died. It's just a matter of
time until that happens with E-bikes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/