Old August 10th 18, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Flat repair

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 8:11:54 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 9:38:24 AM UTC-5, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:On 8/10/2018 1:14 AM, Andy wrote:
: I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.
:
: Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?
:
: I found a small copper wire in tire.
:
: Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?
:
: Thanks
:

:Pathing covered in images 4 through 8 he
:http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

I will strongly suggest you sand your tubes. Sanding not only cleans
the surface, it roughens the surface and increases the area that glue
and cushion gum on the patch have to bond to. Done right, there's a
30 or 40% increase in tensile strength of the patch.

:If you find a way to escape flat tires do write back.

I sanded the tube, applied the patch and clamped it in a vise for an hour..

All it takes is to apply the glue onto the airless tube sanded area and peal the patch onto it after the shine has disappeared from the glue and simply rub it down with your fingers against a flat surface. Clamping it does no better. What's more, now you can even buy glueless patches. Let all the air out of the tube, sand around the leak and apply the patch directly, rub it down well and insert the tube in the tire and inflate.

The problem most people have is finding the hole after they sand the area. I usually use a pen to make a large X so I can determine the center of the leak.