Old February 4th 04, 01:56 PM
Mark Thompson

Default Helmet ******s

Remember, there were once people (backed up, no doubt, by the results
described in peer reviewed scholarly journals) who claimed it was safer
to be thrown clear of a car in a smash than be strapped in by
seatbelts.

I love statements like this - wonder if it's true. Prize for whoever can point
out why this statement, if true, is still a load of balls

If you ride a bicycle for long enough, well, statistically, you're going
to take falls, and take a bad fall sometime or other. If you don't
think so, you are either or both of a) lucky b) a fool.

With you so far.

Collar-bones heal. Scafoids (most times) heal. Broken arms, dislocated
shoulders, skin over ankles, knees, hips, back, arms and hands all
heal. Acquired brain injuries don't heal. Of course, people with ABIs
can and do sometimes regain abilities. But it's not like waiting six
weeks for the cast to come off then simply doing what you did before the
fall - ask someone with an ABI.

Go on...

A bicycle helmet (probably) didn't save my life, nor did it stop me from
getting smashed and ripped up really badly, which generally happens when
you hit the asphalt at 60 kph.

yep...

But it did mean I can still walk, talk, ride a bicycle.

Cycle helmets don't protect very well against the sort of impacts that cause
brain damage. See Curnow[1] for a lengthier description of why not. I think
it's online somewhere, though you will certainly be able to get the abstract
from the journals website, or do a search on google (I've posted it here
before).

See also this letter [2]. Unfortunately the git who wrote it didn't provide