Old December 23rd 03, 07:01 PM
Carl Fogel

Default Columbus Muscle fork: Feedback Please

(Rik O'Shea) wrote in message . com...
(UMTERP) wrote in message ...
Anyone have any experience with this type of fork? I'm thinking of buying one,
but then someone told me they break easily.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

The consensus seems to be that carbon forks will last a lifetime (even
longer than steel) if they are not crashed.

[regretfully snip several detailed opinions about
carbon forks that Rik took some time and trouble
to collect and that I read with interest]

Dear Rik,

I think that the original question was whether
these carbon Columbus Muscle Forks "break easily,"
not whether carbon forks in general last a long
time as long as you don't break them in a crash.

That is, what happens if you pop a pair of these
Columbus Muscle Forks in a vise and whack 'em with
a hammer to simulate a crash or wiggle 'em to mimic
ordinary riding stresses? Do the Columbus forks
bust more easily than other brands of carbon forks
or any kind of metal forks?

Like Dave, I appreciate your feedback, which suggests
that carbon forks in general survive ordinary riding
(but don't crash). That may be what Dave wanted to
know, but he might have been wondering if these Columbus
Muscles forks are the Ford Pinto of the carbon fork world,
too thin, too fragile, or somehow badly designed.

Carl Fogel