Old December 3rd 04, 04:52 PM
GaryG

"Terry Morse" wrote in message
Bill Baka wrote:

In the summer
I came close to a mile a day, but never thought of tallying it.

A vertical mile per day, every day? That's a lot. My highest monthly
total is 27.6 miles, set in September when I was training for and
completing the Everest Challenge. That was with only 3 rest days.
Highest 7-day total was 8.7 miles. I doubt you really did a mile a
day consistently.

A GPS might have been a cool tool since I probably could have counted
all the down then up again little swooshy hills.

Altimeter bike computer is a better tool than a GPS.

Do you have any recommendations for a good altimeter?

I'm currently using a Vetta V100A, which seems reasonably accurate.
Comparing its results with an older Avocet Vertech watch, and the estimates
from DeLorme's Topo USA software, the Vetta consistently reports more than
the Vertech, and less than Topo USA. I assume this is because the Vertech
has a 10 meter "trigger" for accumulation (compared to 1 m for the Vetta),
and the Topo USA software is known to overstate its elevation gain
estimates.

The Vetta also has an inclinometer feature, and can report current grade,
plus maximum grade encountered on a ride (reporting both the maximum "up"
and "down" grades), which is kind of cool. Unfortunately, I question the
reliability of the inclinometer - it seems to get fooled sometimes and
report grades that are unreasonably large (e.g., 22%), perhaps because it is
sampling too often.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G