Old December 3rd 04, 07:14 PM
GaryG

"Rick Warner" wrote in message
om...
Bill Baka wrote in message

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:40:29 -0800, Terry Morse

wrote:

I got an e-mail from this guy the other day. He's trying to break an
annual climbing record that he read about in Bicycling Magazine, and
he has a web site and upcomng book entitled "98 Miles High":

"Coming in January, 2005 98 Miles High"

It sounds hard but if you froke it into 365 days that would only
be about 1500 feet per day, doable. I used to ride in Healdsburg
where I worked in the wine country and did 900 feet once at lunch
and up to 5 times after work where darkness cut me off. On the weekends
I was nowhere near hills so coulnd not add to the total. In the summer
I came close to a mile a day, but never thought of tallying it.
A GPS might have been a cool tool since I probably could have counted
all the down then up again little swooshy hills. It is possible I came
close but fitness was the goal, not a record. My reward for 5 times
around the hill, a nice cold Millers Gold. Not healthy but it sure
hit the spot.

Bill,

You must be talking of the other guy's goal, 98 miles (517440 ft);
Terry did over twice that and is still going but not counting.

And Terry, the 'other guy' who promotes his 'world record' is named
Jeff Alden and he has a letter in the current Bicycling touting that
he broke the (his) previous 'record' this past Sep when he went over
something like 404000 and change. Since the editors at Rodale keep
giving him a forum for self-promotion perhaps you should provide some
zip and tell them of your achievement. I did a quick, conservative
tally, and I am just under 500K right now with most of December left,
and had almost 6 weeks off due to my collision with the wrong way
cyclist on the Wilkie bridge. Alden's records are so laughable since
you and know that 500K is pretty common in the area we live.

- rick

How many miles have you logged for that 500K of elevation gain? I thought I
was having a pretty good year with 200K...sheesh!

GG