Old March 12th 21, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Eddy Merckx Elite

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 1:52:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Op vrijdag 12 maart 2021 om 04:17:40 UTC+1 schreef Frank Krygowski:
On 3/11/2021 12:43 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op donderdag 11 maart 2021 om 17:09:32 UTC+1 schreef Frank Krygowski:
On 3/10/2021 9:43 PM, John B. wrote:

Well there is the debate about the gravel and CX bikes but here,
essentially, all the roads, or at least all the roads I see, are
paved. I've been riding 23mm tires since I switched from "sew-ups".
I think the narrowest tires ever used for more than a short time were
25mm. I've spent most of my road riding time on 28s, some on 32s, a bit
on 35s or 37s when doing loaded touring.

It seems the latest data indicates the super narrow tires have no lower
rolling resistance than similarly constructed wider tires, unless you're
on a surface as smooth as a velodrome track. And wider tires tend to be
less flat prone and more comfortable.

That is a too simple conclusion. I mentioned this earlier:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...000-comparison

Well, there are always more details one can consider. Care to summarize
which further details you think need mention?

If someone states that tires of the same construction (ie. Continental GP5000) the wider version will have less RR and are more comfortable he/she is mistaken. This is easy to understand. Inflate the wider version to the same pressure and it will have less RR but also is less comfortable for the same reason: less vertical deflection when hitting a bump. As for the less prone to puncture statement this is only true for the pinch flat part. I always opposed to the less RR and more comfortable ride statements of people who never used tires of the same construction for both widths. I use Continental GP5000 tires in 25, 28 and 32 mm width and my observation is exactly on par with the results of the test I referred to. Besides the higher weight and being less aero you can achieve a lower RR with wider tires but they will be more uncomfortable. You can use wider tires at a lower pressure for traction and/or comfort on rough surface without an increased chance of a pinch flat but the RR will be more. To speak in your terms wider tires are more versatile but nothing comes for free.

Lou

You are quite right Lou, but you do not have equal pressures in the wider tires and the difference in rolling resistance is absolutely nowhere near the improvement is actual road performance from hard narrow tires to soft wider tires. I run 28 mm tires on all of my newer bikes because they are designed to receive such tires. And I ride 70 lbs in them. Over a measured course the wider softer tires are more comfortable, handle better and are safer on these rough roads. Plus I cannot tell any difference in the 25 mile lap time other than my condition.

My Time Edge was unrideable with 23 mm tires on it. But with 28's it was the best riding bike I had.